The White House on Tuesday unveiled a plan for Afghanistan that foresees U.S. troops remaining there until at least the end of 2014, more than three years beyond when President Obama promised he would begin withdrawing troops from the war-torn country.
WASHINGTON — The White House on Tuesday unveiled a plan for Afghanistan that foresees U.S. troops remaining there until at least the end of 2014, more than three years beyond when President Obama promised he would begin withdrawing troops from the war-torn country.
White House officials, briefing reporters, said the U.S. will introduce the plan at a NATO summit in Lisbon, Portugal, that begins Friday.
In outlining the proposal, the officials made no mention of U.S. troops withdrawing in 2011 and, instead, referred to the date as the beginning of “a responsible transition.”
The plan is the latest iteration of an unfolding U.S. strategy in Afghanistan that began with a months-long policy review last year followed by the deployment of 30,000 more U.S. troops over the summer.
- Whitest big county in the U.S.? It’s us
- Kent family mourns loss of father, two sons in Father’s Day weekend crash
- Ticket prices soar, then drop for World Cup
- As Puget Sound sweats, few air conditioners are cooling us down
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
Most Read Stories
In announcing the additional troops, Obama said a withdrawal would begin in July 2011 and that there would be an extensive review of the strategy in December of this year.
McClatchy Newspapers reported last week that the Obama administration would use the Lisbon meeting to begin de-emphasizing the 2011 withdrawal date in favor of a 2014 date.
Under the latest plan, U.S. and NATO officials will begin next year handing responsibility for security to Afghan forces in some communities where NATO officials think Afghan forces are capable of taking control.
The process will continue through 2014.
The U.S. and NATO will remain in Afghanistan through that period.