Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has defended Turkey's move to block access to YouTube, citing national security concerns.
Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has defended Turkey’s move to block access to YouTube, citing national security concerns.
Turkey shut down access to the video-sharing website on Thursday, after an audio recording of a government security meeting was leaked. In the recording, senior officials appeared to be discussing a possible military intervention in Syria.
Davutoglu said the telecommunications authority requested that YouTube take down the audio recording but the company did not remove it.
Turkey last week also suspended access to Twitter, which has been a conduit for links to recordings that suggest government corruption.
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
- Gun violence: Don’t fear gun laws; let gun-owners help pay to fix the problem
- Injured Evergreen football player dies at Harborview
Most Read Stories
“Nothing is more important than Turkey’s security, the well-being of the people or the individual rights of our citizens,” Davutoglu said.
The ban on Twitter drew international criticism as a restriction on free speech.