Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has defended Turkey's move to block access to YouTube, citing national security concerns.
Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has defended Turkey’s move to block access to YouTube, citing national security concerns.
Turkey shut down access to the video-sharing website on Thursday, after an audio recording of a government security meeting was leaked. In the recording, senior officials appeared to be discussing a possible military intervention in Syria.
Davutoglu said the telecommunications authority requested that YouTube take down the audio recording but the company did not remove it.
Turkey last week also suspended access to Twitter, which has been a conduit for links to recordings that suggest government corruption.
- Mariners prospect hit by boat dies at age 20
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Low wages for aerospace workers despite tax breaks for employers
- Let's cut traffic by road rationing, Italian style
- A mom's tweet about Oreos in school stirs up culture wars
Most Read Stories
“Nothing is more important than Turkey’s security, the well-being of the people or the individual rights of our citizens,” Davutoglu said.
The ban on Twitter drew international criticism as a restriction on free speech.