TULSA, Okla. (AP) — A Tulsa police sniper fatally shot an armed man who authorities say forced his way into his estranged wife’s home and held her 2-year-old daughter as a hostage.
Tulsa police spokesman Leland Ashley says the man was shot and killed early Tuesday. Ashley says an officer shot the man as he stood in the doorway of a second-floor balcony.
Ashley tells the Tulsa World (http://bit.ly/2eii4WQ ) that the man had pointed his gun at officers and the child, and that the sniper opened fire out of concern for the girl’s safety.
Ashley says the officer who fired the fatal shot has been placed on paid leave. The shooting comes less than a month after a Tulsa officer was charged with manslaughter in the fatal shooting of an unarmed man.
Most Read Stories
- 83-year-old woman sexually assaulted in SeaTac assisted-living facility; assailant sought
- Put down that cellphone; distracted-driving law is here
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Trade analysis: Mariners deal a top prospect in Tyler O'Neill but leave their biggest hole unfilled
- Illicit skatepark on Green Lake’s Duck Island: Cops called on bowl built in bird habitat WATCH