Syria's information minister says Damascus needs more details about a proposed U.S.-Russian initiative before it decides whether to attend. The main opposition group has taken a similar stand.
Syria’s information minister says Damascus needs more details about a proposed U.S.-Russian initiative before it decides whether to attend. The main opposition group has taken a similar stand.
Omran al-Zoubi says in remarks carried by state news agency SANA Tuesday that Syria will not take part in any political dialogue that infringes on the country’s sovereignty.
The U.S. and Russia called last week for an international conference to start talks accompanied by a cease-fire. The two nations are on opposite sides of the Syria conflict. This marks their first serious joint attempt at Syria diplomacy in a year.
Syria’s Foreign Ministry welcomed the U.S.-Russian initiative without saying whether it would attend.
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena; Sonics fans despair
- Former Skyline High QB Jake Heaps signs with Seahawks
- 9 arrested, 5 officers hurt as May Day anti-capitalist march turns violent
- Sinkhole forms above Sound Transit light-rail tunnel in Roosevelt area
- Breaking down the Seahawks' reported undrafted free agents
Most Read Stories
The main opposition bloc, the Syrian National Coalition, said Monday it wants to consult its allies before deciding.