SMITHFIELD, R.I. (AP) — An 81-year-old Rhode Island store owner has come under fire on social media for his display of a Hillary Clinton plush toy that dangles from a metal hook inside the store.
The Providence Journal reports (http://bit.ly/2gHMEsJ ) that online comments mounted after a woman wrote a Facebook post on Tuesday about the pant-suited “Lyin’ Hillary Doll” displayed near a Trump sign at the Pleasant View Orchards store in Smithfield.
Owner Tony Polseno Jr. said Wednesday a customer had purchased the doll online and gave it to him. The doll makes statements that include, “Not a single one of my emails was classified,” when it’s squeezed.
Yelp and Facebook commenters are offended by the doll’s placement. Polseno says those comments reflect a misunderstanding and that the doll wasn’t meant to be offensive.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle judge won’t immediately release ‘Dreamer’ from detention center
- Officials say damage to sewage plant in Discovery Park is catastrophic
- T-Mobile one-ups Verizon’s new unlimited data plan; 4Q results top forecasts
- Sticker shock as much higher car-tab bills land in mailboxes
- Mexico City is a parched and sinking capital
Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.providencejournal.com