SMITHFIELD, R.I. (AP) — An 81-year-old Rhode Island store owner has come under fire on social media for his display of a Hillary Clinton plush toy that dangles from a metal hook inside the store.
The Providence Journal reports (http://bit.ly/2gHMEsJ ) that online comments mounted after a woman wrote a Facebook post on Tuesday about the pant-suited “Lyin’ Hillary Doll” displayed near a Trump sign at the Pleasant View Orchards store in Smithfield.
Owner Tony Polseno Jr. said Wednesday a customer had purchased the doll online and gave it to him. The doll makes statements that include, “Not a single one of my emails was classified,” when it’s squeezed.
Yelp and Facebook commenters are offended by the doll’s placement. Polseno says those comments reflect a misunderstanding and that the doll wasn’t meant to be offensive.
Most Read Stories
- Scientists say recent quake swarm at Rainier doesn't signal impending eruption
- ‘Everyone failed him’: Boy’s aunt accused of murder, DSHS accused of ‘critical errors’
- Seattle’s newcomers vs. longtime residents: At least we both like the Seahawks
- 'Polite Robber' suspect told similar sob story when arrested 8 years ago
- 12 Tully’s Coffee locations at Boeing to close, with each side blaming the other
Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.providencejournal.com