LOS ANGELES — The son of a co-creator of the long-running PBS children’s show “Barney & Friends” was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder for shooting a neighbor in the chest, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said Thursday.
Patrick Leach, 27, of Malibu, was booked on suspicion of attempted murder Jan. 9 after he allegedly shot the neighbor, identified as Eric Shanks, in the chest with a large-caliber handgun, said sheriff’s spokesman Steve Whitmore.
Detective Tom Lewis told the Malibu Times that the dispute involved a “trespassing issue.”
Leach was released in lieu of $1 million bail, Whitmore said.
- Warren Moon on Marshawn Lynch: "He just doesn't trust a lot of people''
- Every street can't handle every use, mayor says
- Confidence is key for 24-year-old lawmaker
- After ditching Amex, Costco embraces Citi, Visa
- Warren Moon on Marshawn Lynch: 'He just doesn't trust a lot of people'
Most Read Stories
Shanks, 49, was shot in the chest, and the round exited his shoulder, Whitmore said. He was taken to a hospital in critical condition and was expected to recover, Whitmore said.
Leach is the son of Sheryl Leach, a co-creator of “Barney & Friends,” the show about a purple dinosaur who loves children and leads them in play and song.
In one of the best-known songs, Barney sings, “I love you, you love me, we’re a happy family with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you, won’t you say you love me too!”