Somalia's most dangerous militant group says it has killed a French hostage that French military forces tried to rescue last weekend.
Somalia’s most dangerous militant group says it has killed a French hostage that French military forces tried to rescue last weekend.
Al-Shabab said in a Twitter posting Thursday that the agent, codenamed Denis Allex, was executed Wednesday evening Somalia time.
French officials have said they believe Allex was killed the night of the raid. Allex, a French intelligence agent, was taken by the militants in July 2009 and had been held ever since.
A French raid Friday night and early Saturday failed to rescue him, and resulted in the deaths of two French troops and 17 Somalis, French officials say.
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
- Pedestrian struck on I-5 dies
- Grading the game: Seattle Seahawks’ offense earns perfect mark against Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle tops Pittsburgh Steelers, 39-30, in back-and-forth thriller