A 62-year-old British man who became an Internet sensation after wrestling with a shark on an Australian beach says he was fired after his employer discovered he'd been abroad while on sick leave.
A 62-year-old British man who became an Internet sensation after wrestling with a shark on an Australian beach says he was fired after his employer discovered he’d been abroad while on sick leave.
Paul Marshallsea was filmed yanking a six-foot- (1.8-meter-) long shark away from waders at Caloundra beach near Brisbane in January.
But his intervention also caught the eye of his employer, the Pant and Dowlais Boys & Girls Club, a Welsh charity. Marshallsea had been on leave since April after saying he was suffering from work-related stress.
Marshallsea told local news website WalesOnline he was unhappy at his treatment, adding that his doctor had advised him to take a vacation.
- Amazon.com just tip of Seattle boom
- Boeing retools Renton plant for 737's big ramp-up
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Nelson Cruz drives in five, including winning run
- Michael Bennett not expected to attend as Seahawks begin voluntary workouts
Most Read Stories
A man who answered the phone at the charity Wednesday said no one was immediately available for comment.