PERTH, Australia (AP) — A 17-year-old surfer was killed by a shark Monday off Australia’s south coast, police said.
The girl was surfing with her father when she was attacked off Esperance in Western Australia state on Monday afternoon, a police statement said.
She was taken in critical condition to Esperance Hospital, where she died. Police have not said what type of shark was responsible.
Australia has averaged fewer than two deadly shark attacks per year in recent decades.
Most Read Stories
- Starbucks' Dragon Frappuccino is new 'secret' drink craze
- Marshawn Lynch takes out a full-page ad in the Seattle Times to thank fans
- First reaction: Seahawks select 6 players in second and third rounds of NFL Draft
- 2017 NFL draft: Live Seahawks updates from the final day, rounds 4-7
- Draft day delivery: Russell Wilson, Ciara announce birth of Sienna Princess Wilson