PERTH, Australia (AP) — A 17-year-old surfer was killed by a shark Monday off Australia’s south coast, police said.
The girl was surfing with her father when she was attacked off Esperance in Western Australia state on Monday afternoon, a police statement said.
She was taken in critical condition to Esperance Hospital, where she died. Police have not said what type of shark was responsible.
Australia has averaged fewer than two deadly shark attacks per year in recent decades.
Most Read Stories
- Route 7 is one of Metro Transit’s most challenging bus lines, and driver Nathan Vass loves it VIEW
- WSU College Republicans leader steps down after being exposed as white-nationalist protester
- Bill Gates makes largest donation of Microsoft stock since 2000 with $4.6 billion gift
- Sorrow at the Space Needle: Dinner at one of Seattle’s most expensive restaurants VIEW
- Seattle rental applicants' criminal histories virtually off-limits under new law