PERTH, Australia (AP) — A 17-year-old surfer was killed by a shark Monday off Australia’s south coast, police said.
The girl was surfing with her father when she was attacked off Esperance in Western Australia state on Monday afternoon, a police statement said.
She was taken in critical condition to Esperance Hospital, where she died. Police have not said what type of shark was responsible.
Australia has averaged fewer than two deadly shark attacks per year in recent decades.
Most Read Stories
- UW study finds Seattle’s minimum wage is costing jobs
- Costco is testing a new burger in Seattle, and it might remind you of Shake Shack
- Check out the Pike Place Market’s $74M addition: See 360-degree views of the new MarketFront VIEW
- Trump travel ban partly reinstated; fall court arguments set VIEW
- Calling their bluff: A Seattle doctor pegs what the GOP health bill is really about | Danny Westneat