A Russian performance artist nailed his genitals to the ground outside Moscow's Red Square in protest over Russia's "police state" as the country marked national police day.
A Russian performance artist nailed his genitals to the ground outside Moscow’s Red Square in protest over Russia’s “police state” as the country marked national police day.
A video shows naked Pyotr Pavlensky sitting on Russia’s most famous square just outside the Kremlin on Sunday afternoon after nailing himself to the ground. Police first took him to the hospital and then into custody.
Interfax news agency said that a court dismissed charges of “petty hooliganism” and released him Monday.
Pavlensky, who has long been known for his self-mutilating stunts, told Dozhd television he wanted to warn that “we are on the threshold of becoming a police state.”
- Seattle police officer faces firing over arrest of man carrying a golf club
- Man killed by escort had axes, shovel, bleach; may be linked to missing women
- Alaska Airlines has 72-hour sale on fall travel to Hawaii
- Seattle-area home prices hit wall in May
- Kirkland hunter defends acquaintance who killed treasured lion Cecil
Most Read Stories
In the summer of 2012, Pavlensky sewed his mouth closed to protest the imprisonment of three members of Pussy Riot band.