Some recent deadly train accidents in Europe before Wednesday's crash in Spain:
Some recent deadly train accidents in Europe before Wednesday’s crash in Spain:
– July 12, 2013: Six people are killed and nearly 200 injured just south of Paris when four cars slide off the tracks as a passenger train speeds through the small French town of Bretigny-sur-Orge.
– April 22, 2012: A woman dies of injuries a day after two trains collide head-on in Amsterdam. At least 16 people are seriously injured.
– April 13, 2012: Three people are killed and 13 injured in a train crash near Frankfurt when two trains collide and derail.
- Seattle fifth-graders will get their camp trip, but teachers refuse to go
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Five things to watch as Seahawks begin OTAs Monday
- Ivar’s looks to sell, lease back two venerable restaurant sites
- What the national media are saying about Robinson Cano and the Mariners' hot start to the season
Most Read Stories
– March 3, 2012:Ãƒâ€šÂÂ Two trains collide head-on in southern Poland, killing at least eight people and injuring around 50.
– Jan. 30, 2011:Ãƒâ€šÂÂ A head-on collision between a cargo train and a passenger train kills at least 10 people and injures 23 near the eastern German village of Hordorf.
– Dec. 9, 2010:Ãƒâ€šÂÂ One person is killed and two others are injured after a train derailed in southern Greece between the southern cities of Argos and Tripoli.
– Aug. 6, 2010:Ãƒâ€šÂÂ A train derails in southern Italy, killing one passenger and leaving about 30 injured on the outskirts of Naples, its destination.
– July 23, 2010:Ãƒâ€šÂÂ Switzerland’s popular Glacier Express tourist train derails in the Alps, killing one person and injuring 42 on its spectacular journey between Zermatt and St. Moritz.
– Feb. 15, 2010: A train wreck in Buizingen, Belgium, kills 18 people and injures 55.
– July 1, 2009:Ãƒâ€šÂÂ Thirty-two people are killed and 26 injured when a train carrying liquefied gas derails and explodes while traveling through a downtown neighborhood in the Tuscan seaside town of Viareggio.
– Oct. 6, 2008: A local passenger train runs into the back of a long-distance train near Budapest, Hungary, killing four people and injuring 26.
– Jan. 27, 2008:Ãƒâ€šÂÂ A passenger train derails in central Turkey, killing at least nine people and injuring dozens of others, possibly due to ice on the tracks.
– July 3, 2006: A local passenger train crashes in the southern city of Valencia, killing 43 people. Excessive speed is blamed.