Russian President Vladimir Putin has met informally with Ukraine's President-elect Petro Poroshenko on the sidelines of D-Day commemorations in France.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has met informally with Ukraine’s President-elect Petro Poroshenko on the sidelines of D-Day commemorations in France.
It’s the first meeting between the two leaders since Poroshenko was elected to head Ukraine. It comes during a week of intense diplomacy aimed at resolving the crisis in Ukraine.
The brief interaction took place after world leaders gathering for the commemoration posed for a group photo. After the photo, most of the leaders walked into a nearby building for a lunch. But Putin, Poroshenko and German Chancellor Angela Merkel stayed outside the door and chatted in a threesome.
Reporters observing the encounter couldn’t hear the conversation. The animated conversation lasted about a minute.
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena; Sonics fans despair
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- Ted Cruz ends his bid for Republican presidential nomination
- Man killed by car pulling out of Seattle parking garage
- Bertha under the viaduct: Drilling that shut highway is nearly 30 percent done
Most Read Stories
No plans have been announced for a longer, formal meeting between Putin and Poroshenko.