Russian President Vladimir Putin has met informally with Ukraine's President-elect Petro Poroshenko on the sidelines of D-Day commemorations in France.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has met informally with Ukraine’s President-elect Petro Poroshenko on the sidelines of D-Day commemorations in France.
It’s the first meeting between the two leaders since Poroshenko was elected to head Ukraine. It comes during a week of intense diplomacy aimed at resolving the crisis in Ukraine.
The brief interaction took place after world leaders gathering for the commemoration posed for a group photo. After the photo, most of the leaders walked into a nearby building for a lunch. But Putin, Poroshenko and German Chancellor Angela Merkel stayed outside the door and chatted in a threesome.
Reporters observing the encounter couldn’t hear the conversation. The animated conversation lasted about a minute.
- USC fires head coach Steve Sarkisian, former UW Huskies coach
- Seahawks coach Pete Carroll on Steve Sarkisian: ‘It breaks my heart’
- Seahawks’ Pete Carroll ‘baffled’ after late collapse vs. Bengals
- McMenamins Anderson School grand opening is Thursday
- Seattle council candidate alleges political shakedown by developer
Most Read Stories
No plans have been announced for a longer, formal meeting between Putin and Poroshenko.