Russian President Vladimir Putin has met informally with Ukraine's President-elect Petro Poroshenko on the sidelines of D-Day commemorations in France.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has met informally with Ukraine’s President-elect Petro Poroshenko on the sidelines of D-Day commemorations in France.
It’s the first meeting between the two leaders since Poroshenko was elected to head Ukraine. It comes during a week of intense diplomacy aimed at resolving the crisis in Ukraine.
The brief interaction took place after world leaders gathering for the commemoration posed for a group photo. After the photo, most of the leaders walked into a nearby building for a lunch. But Putin, Poroshenko and German Chancellor Angela Merkel stayed outside the door and chatted in a threesome.
Reporters observing the encounter couldn’t hear the conversation. The animated conversation lasted about a minute.
- Female tiger killed by mating partner at Sacramento Zoo
- Job cuts planned as Boeing hunkers down to compete with Airbus, consider new plane
- Amid Zika fears, local family shares the reality of microcephaly
- Seahawks sign CFL receiver Jeff Fuller and running back Cameron Marshall
- Nigerian suicide bomber gets cold feet, refuses to kill
Most Read Stories
No plans have been announced for a longer, formal meeting between Putin and Poroshenko.