RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A prosecutor says a North Carolina man accused of attacking his ex-girlfriend with a machete had been stalking her after their breakup.
Local media organizations report 20-year-old Neel Salil Mehta of Cary is charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.
Police in the community of Apex say 18-year-old Priyanka Kumari was walking home from a school bus stop Thursday when she was attacked.
District Attorney Anna Davis says Kumari suffered wounds to her face, neck and hands. The prosecutor also says investigators determined that Mehta had been sending Kumari threatening emails and had been planning the attack for several days.
Most Read Stories
- Road rage in Kent: Subaru strikes Jeep three times
- Did you get the letter? WSU sends warning to 1 million people after hard drive with personal info is stolen
- UW professor got it right on Trump. So why is he being ignored? | Danny Westneat
- Veteran LAPD officer arrested for sex with 15-year-old cadet
- The Amazon effect: Metro adds buses to handle new flock of summer interns
A judge set Mehta’s bond at $2 million. He has requested a court-appointed attorney.