RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A prosecutor says a North Carolina man accused of attacking his ex-girlfriend with a machete had been stalking her after their breakup.
Local media organizations report 20-year-old Neel Salil Mehta of Cary is charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.
Police in the community of Apex say 18-year-old Priyanka Kumari was walking home from a school bus stop Thursday when she was attacked.
District Attorney Anna Davis says Kumari suffered wounds to her face, neck and hands. The prosecutor also says investigators determined that Mehta had been sending Kumari threatening emails and had been planning the attack for several days.
Most Read Stories
- 'I'm amazed tourists ever come back': Your comments on Seattle's poor tourism survey
- UW grants Nathan Hale's Michael Porter Jr. his release from NLI
- Rare, often fatal, respiratory disease carried by mice — hantavirus — confirmed in King County
- Huskies get commitment from Coeur d'Alene 4-star QB Colson Yankoff
- AP Exclusive: Before Trump job, Manafort worked to aid Putin VIEW
A judge set Mehta’s bond at $2 million. He has requested a court-appointed attorney.