MYSTIC, Conn. (AP) — A pregnant manatee that was rescued off Cape Cod has been flown from Connecticut’s Mystic Aquarium to Florida.
The manatee is named Washburn after the island where she was rescued. She was moved Tuesday to SeaWorld in Orlando, where she’ll be cared for until she can be released back into the wild.
Manatees are mammals and are sometimes referred to as sea cows. A spokeswoman for Mystic Aquarium says it’s very rare to see them as far north as New England.
The 800-pound manatee was rescued Sept. 22 as water temperatures were dropping below 67 degrees, too cold for it to survive.
Most Read Stories
- 2,000 Seattle teachers wear ‘Black Lives Matter’ shirts to class VIEW
- The great debate: Did Trump say ‘bigly’ or ‘big league’? (Poll) WATCH
- Seahawks Richard Sherman thinks NFL intentionally edited highlight video of Atlanta's final play WATCH
- Port Angeles woman accused of sexual contact with boy, dog
- Trump mocks critics: I'll accept election results — if I win WATCH
A U.S. Coast Guard plane took off Tuesday morning from Groton (GRAH’-tuhn), Connecticut, with the manatee and arrived Tuesday afternoon.