OLD LYME, Conn. (AP) — State police say a Connecticut woman had gotten out of her vehicle to check on a 1-year-old child in the back seat on Interstate 95 when she was hit and killed by a tractor-trailer.
Police say 31-year-old Ashley Ferguson of Middletown was standing near the rear driver-side door around 11:30 a.m. Thursday when she was struck in Old Lyme. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
The child and another passenger weren’t hurt. Police say the child was taken to a clinic as a precaution.
The state Department of Transportation said the southbound lanes were shut down after the accident. One lane of the highway was reopened at about 8 p.m. Thursday.
Most Read Stories
- It’s official: You can’t take Seahawks’ Richard Sherman seriously anymore | Matt Calkins
- Nearly half of local millennials consider moving as Seattle-area home costs soar again
- At $2,200 each, tiny houses can shelter the homeless | Op-Ed
- Taco truck, stuck in Seattle’s big I-5 closure, opens for lunch anyway
- Superwealthy entrepreneur decides to 'go all out' with property-tax plan to fight Seattle homelessness
State police are investigating.