OLD LYME, Conn. (AP) — State police say a Connecticut woman had gotten out of her vehicle to check on a 1-year-old child in the back seat on Interstate 95 when she was hit and killed by a tractor-trailer.
Police say 31-year-old Ashley Ferguson of Middletown was standing near the rear driver-side door around 11:30 a.m. Thursday when she was struck in Old Lyme. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
The child and another passenger weren’t hurt. Police say the child was taken to a clinic as a precaution.
The state Department of Transportation said the southbound lanes were shut down after the accident. One lane of the highway was reopened at about 8 p.m. Thursday.
Most Read Stories
- 2017 NFL draft: Live Seahawks updates from the second and third rounds
- Seahawks trade with Falcons, 49ers to move out of first round of 2017 NFL Draft, now have 10 picks WATCH
- Billionaire Paul Allen pledges $30M toward permanent housing for Seattle’s homeless
- Starbucks' Dragon Frappuccino is new 'secret' drink craze
- Highway 99 tolling: Here's how much you could pay, according to new analysis
State police are investigating.