OLD LYME, Conn. (AP) — State police say a Connecticut woman had gotten out of her vehicle to check on a 1-year-old child in the back seat on Interstate 95 when she was hit and killed by a tractor-trailer.
Police say 31-year-old Ashley Ferguson of Middletown was standing near the rear driver-side door around 11:30 a.m. Thursday when she was struck in Old Lyme. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
The child and another passenger weren’t hurt. Police say the child was taken to a clinic as a precaution.
The state Department of Transportation said the southbound lanes were shut down after the accident. One lane of the highway was reopened at about 8 p.m. Thursday.
Most Read Stories
- Road rage in Kent: Subaru strikes Jeep three times
- Did you get the letter? WSU sends warning to 1 million people after hard drive with personal info is stolen
- UW professor got it right on Trump. So why is he being ignored? | Danny Westneat
- Veteran LAPD officer arrested for sex with 15-year-old cadet
- The Amazon effect: Metro adds buses to handle new flock of summer interns
State police are investigating.