OLD LYME, Conn. (AP) — State police say a Connecticut woman had gotten out of her vehicle to check on a 1-year-old child in the back seat on Interstate 95 when she was hit and killed by a tractor-trailer.
Police say 31-year-old Ashley Ferguson of Middletown was standing near the rear driver-side door around 11:30 a.m. Thursday when she was struck in Old Lyme. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
The child and another passenger weren’t hurt. Police say the child was taken to a clinic as a precaution.
The state Department of Transportation said the southbound lanes were shut down after the accident. One lane of the highway was reopened at about 8 p.m. Thursday.
Most Read Stories
- What you need to know about Inauguration Day protests, events in Seattle
- Christopher Monfort, killer of Seattle police officer, found dead in prison cell
- 50,000 expected to attend Seattle women’s march day after Trump inauguration WATCH
- Police seek description of shooter who wounded 3 at Seattle’s Crocodile club
- From TV to courtroom to the market: The saga of Seattle’s $475,000 treehouse
State police are investigating.