OLD LYME, Conn. (AP) — State police say a Connecticut woman had gotten out of her vehicle to check on a 1-year-old child in the back seat on Interstate 95 when she was hit and killed by a tractor-trailer.
Police say 31-year-old Ashley Ferguson of Middletown was standing near the rear driver-side door around 11:30 a.m. Thursday when she was struck in Old Lyme. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
The child and another passenger weren’t hurt. Police say the child was taken to a clinic as a precaution.
The state Department of Transportation said the southbound lanes were shut down after the accident. One lane of the highway was reopened at about 8 p.m. Thursday.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle's newest apartments: 'prison cell' with no door for toilet
- This video of Marshawn Lynch narrating the 'Planet Earth II' iguana chase wins the internet
- ‘A fairly messy situation’: 2-4 inches of snow could fall Thursday in Seattle area
- Former Seahawk Ricardo Lockette stirs anger at Garfield High assembly: ‘Men take the lead’
- Boeing blindsided as Trump slams Air Force One costs
State police are investigating.