ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (AP) — Authorities say a tractor-trailer crash overturned on Interstate 95 in North Carolina and spilled hundreds of heads of cabbage that took hours to clear away.
Lt. Jeff Gordon of the North Carolina State Highway Patrol told local media outlets that the truck veered off the side of the interstate on Sunday near Rocky Mount, overcorrected and then overturned.
He says the 31-year-old driver, Kevin Eugene Ellis, of Middleburg, Florida, faces charges including driving while impaired. Gordon says the driver and a woman in the truck with him were taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. It wasn’t known if Ellis had an attorney.
Authorities say traffic was backed up for at least 10 miles on the affected side of I-95 during the roadway cleanup.
Most Read Stories
- No more flying with reindeer: Unique Alaska planes to retire VIEW
- ‘No more agriculture in Puerto Rico,’ a farmer laments
- Seattle to spend $177M on new streetcar line amid questions about ‘unrealistic’ revenue, rider projections
- Boeing’s next all-new jet moves closer to reality
- A daring betrayal helped wipe out Cali cocaine cartel