ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (AP) — Authorities say a tractor-trailer crash overturned on Interstate 95 in North Carolina and spilled hundreds of heads of cabbage that took hours to clear away.
Lt. Jeff Gordon of the North Carolina State Highway Patrol told local media outlets that the truck veered off the side of the interstate on Sunday near Rocky Mount, overcorrected and then overturned.
He says the 31-year-old driver, Kevin Eugene Ellis, of Middleburg, Florida, faces charges including driving while impaired. Gordon says the driver and a woman in the truck with him were taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. It wasn’t known if Ellis had an attorney.
Authorities say traffic was backed up for at least 10 miles on the affected side of I-95 during the roadway cleanup.
Most Read Stories
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Put down that cellphone; distracted-driving law is here
- Why watermelon is good for you
- Why Republicans can’t govern | David Brooks / Syndicated columnist
- Passage of paid-family-leave act shows power of working together | Op-Ed