PALM BAY, Fla. (AP) — Police in central Florida say two officers shot and wounded a suicidal 70-year-old man after he brandished a handgun inside his home.
Palm Bay Police Lt. Mike Bandish told news outlets at the scene Wednesday night the man was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries following the shooting.
It is unclear whether the suspect fired his handgun. Neither officer was hurt.
Bandish says the officers had gone to the home to conduct a well-being check on the man.
Most Read Stories
- Calling their bluff: A Seattle doctor pegs what the GOP health bill is really about | Danny Westneat
- UW study finds Seattle’s minimum wage is costing jobs
- Investigators’ task to find out why U.S. destroyer failed to dodge cargo ship
- Police investigate Seattle officer who shot Charleena Lyles after he left Taser in locker
- Mike Hopkins beats out former team to secure Hameir Wright for UW men's basketball
Neighbor Clayton Bennett tells Florida Today (http://on.flatoday.com/2lUmvFW ) the suspect lives in the home with his aging mother.
Authorities did not immediately release the names or races of those involved in the shooting.
Per standard operating procedure, both officers were placed on administrative leave as the Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigates.
Information from: Florida Today (Melbourne, Fla.), http://www.floridatoday.com