PALM BAY, Fla. (AP) — Police in central Florida say two officers shot and wounded a suicidal 70-year-old man after he brandished a handgun inside his home.
Palm Bay Police Lt. Mike Bandish told news outlets at the scene Wednesday night the man was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries following the shooting.
It is unclear whether the suspect fired his handgun. Neither officer was hurt.
Bandish says the officers had gone to the home to conduct a well-being check on the man.
Most Read Stories
- Billionaire Paul Allen pledges $30M toward permanent housing for Seattle’s homeless
- Seahawks trade with Falcons, 49ers to move out of first round of 2017 NFL Draft, now have 10 picks WATCH
- 2017 NFL draft: Live Seahawks updates from the first round
- Highway 99 tolling: Here's how much you could pay, according to new analysis
- Offer help to daughter every which way; it may build a bond | Dear Carolyn
Neighbor Clayton Bennett tells Florida Today (http://on.flatoday.com/2lUmvFW ) the suspect lives in the home with his aging mother.
Authorities did not immediately release the names or races of those involved in the shooting.
Per standard operating procedure, both officers were placed on administrative leave as the Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigates.
Information from: Florida Today (Melbourne, Fla.), http://www.floridatoday.com