VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) — Police in Virginia Beach are conducting an internal review after an officer was captured on video struggling with a woman on the ground as he handcuffed her.
Police said in a statement Tuesday that an officer responded to a call about a disorderly person at the Four Sails Resort Hotel on Monday and arrested 24-year-old Shakema Mitchell of Virginia Beach. Police say Mitchell freed herself from handcuffs and didn’t cooperate as the officer re-handcuffed her. Mitchell was charged with public intoxication and released Tuesday.
Media outlets report that Lauren Etheridge posted video of the struggle to Facebook, saying she saw the officer yank Mitchell from the cruiser and smash her head into the ground.
Court records list Mitchell’s race as black. Police didn’t release the officer’s name or race.
Most Read Stories
- UW study finds Seattle’s minimum wage is costing jobs
- Calling their bluff: A Seattle doctor pegs what the GOP health bill is really about | Danny Westneat
- Trump travel ban partly reinstated; fall court arguments set VIEW
- Check out the Pike Place Market’s $74M addition: See 360-degree views of the new MarketFront VIEW
- Costco is testing a new burger in Seattle, and it might remind you of Shake Shack