COCOA, Fla. (AP) — A Florida woman is accused of leaving her 1-year-old son in a house where people were doing drugs.
Brevard County Sheriff’s officials say someone contacted them after finding the child sleeping on a mattress in the home. His 31-year-old mother, Ashley Marie Baskett, was arrested Wednesday and remains in the Brevard County Jail on charges of child neglect and possession of methamphetamine.
Deputies say the other people in the home were either sleeping or under the influence of drugs. The child had a dirty diaper and there were marks on his face. Investigators tracked down his mother and arrested her.
The Department of Children and Families took custody of the boy.
Most Read Stories
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Why watermelon is good for you
- Put down that cellphone; distracted-driving law is here
- Distracted-driving law in full effect for Monday morning commute
- Woman, 71, and terrier-Chihuahua named Yoda rescued after nearly week in Olympic National Park