COCOA, Fla. (AP) — A Florida woman is accused of leaving her 1-year-old son in a house where people were doing drugs.
Brevard County Sheriff’s officials say someone contacted them after finding the child sleeping on a mattress in the home. His 31-year-old mother, Ashley Marie Baskett, was arrested Wednesday and remains in the Brevard County Jail on charges of child neglect and possession of methamphetamine.
Deputies say the other people in the home were either sleeping or under the influence of drugs. The child had a dirty diaper and there were marks on his face. Investigators tracked down his mother and arrested her.
The Department of Children and Families took custody of the boy.
Most Read Stories
- Submarines dismantled in Puget Sound are symbols of nation’s defense dilemma | Jon Talton
- Democrats are supposed to be fighting back, but they just keep losing | Danny Westneat
- Spike Lee posts, then deletes photo thanking Seahawks' Pete Carroll for signing Colin Kaepernick
- Swedish double-booked its surgeries, and the patients didn't know | Quantity of Care
- Seattle Zestimates are off by $40,000; now hundreds of data crunchers vie to improve Zillow’s model