NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — A Virginia man has been charged in the shooting death of his 4-year-old son.
Norfolk police said Thursday in a statement that 26-year-old Rayvon Messer is charged with second-degree murder.
Police say paramedics responded Wednesday night to find the boy outside a home in the Ocean View area of the city. Rayvon A. Messer Jr. died from the gunshot wound shortly after being rushed to a hospital.
Police haven’t released any more details about the circumstances surrounding the shooting, which is under investigation.
Most Read Stories
- Scientists say recent quake swarm at Rainier doesn't signal impending eruption
- ‘Everyone failed him’: Boy’s aunt accused of murder, DSHS accused of ‘critical errors’
- Seattle’s newcomers vs. longtime residents: At least we both like the Seahawks
- 'Polite Robber' suspect told similar sob story when arrested 8 years ago
- 12 Tully’s Coffee locations at Boeing to close, with each side blaming the other
Messer is being held without bail. He’s also charged with using a firearm in the commission of a felony.
This story has been updated to correct that Norfolk police now say the child was 4 years old, not 3 years old.