LONDON (AP) — Sotheby’s is displaying the startling “pink star” diamond in London before it’s being auctioned in Hong Kong next month.
The company says the gem should fetch more than $60 million when put on the block on April 4, which would represent a record for a pink diamond sold at auction.
It said Monday that the 59.60-carat gem is the largest flawless fancy pink diamond ever graded by the Gemological Institute of America.
Sotheby’s jewelry division chief David Bennett said the gem’s size and color “surpassed any known pink diamond recorded in history.” It was mined in Africa in 1999.
Most Read Stories
- Swastika-wearing man punched on Seattle street, removes swastika, police say
- Win over 49ers can't mask the fact that these Seahawks are in big trouble | Matt Calkins
- 'Polite Robber' suspect told similar sob story when arrested 8 years ago
- Pete Carroll on Seahawks offense: 'There will be some things that will be a little bit different this week' WATCH
- A daring betrayal helped wipe out Cali cocaine cartel
The company sold the “Blue Moon of Josephine” diamond for $48.5 million in Geneva in 2015.