CORSICA, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania man has been sentenced to six to 12 months in prison for starving horses.
WJAC reports (http://bit.ly/2jfjZMi) 44-year-old Leonard Hughes, of Corsica, was also ordered Monday to pay fines and restitution.
Thirteen of the 29 horses in his field in western Pennsylvania were seized by Jefferson County humane control in September. Four horses died as a result of neglect.
Hughes pleaded guilty to the animal cruelty charges after initially appealing. He says he takes responsibility for what happened.
Most Read Stories
- Look back at our live coverage of the solar eclipse WATCH
- Your guide to enjoying the eclipse from Seattle
- Friends honor artist’s last wishes with water ballet in a Seattle kiddie pool WATCH
- 3 surprising Seattle restaurant closures — plus 11 more
- Battling demons in a community looking to Trump for change VIEW
Officers say most of the horses are now fully recovered.
Information from: WJAC-TV, http://www.wjactv.com