SUNBURY, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania man has been convicted for his role in death of a 9-year-old boy, who overdosed on a powerful painkiller while in his care.
A Northumberland County jury spent four hours deliberating Thursday before finding 61-year-old Victor Hare III guilty of involuntary manslaughter, drug delivery resulting in death and other charges.
Hare was babysitting Korbin Rager in 2014 when authorities say he provided the boy with a fatal dose of Oxycodone.
The boy’s mother was previously sentenced to three years in prison for letting Hare babysit her son, knowing the Point Township man had a drug problem.
Most Read Stories
- Submarines dismantled in Puget Sound are symbols of nation’s defense dilemma | Jon Talton
- Democrats are supposed to be fighting back, but they just keep losing | Danny Westneat
- Seattle Zestimates are off by $40,000; now hundreds of data crunchers vie to improve Zillow’s model
- Spike Lee posts, then deletes photo thanking Seahawks' Pete Carroll for signing Colin Kaepernick
- Police: Man hurling racial slurs kills 2, injures 1 on train
Hare told reporters as he left the courthouse that he was “still not guilty.”
He faces up to 38 years in prison. The boy’s father says Hare “should have got life.”