A Rhode Island couple says they were speechless and moved to tears when Pope Francis hugged and kissed their 8-year-old son in St. Peter's Square on Easter Sunday.
A Rhode Island couple says they were speechless and moved to tears when Pope Francis hugged and kissed their 8-year-old son in St. Peter’s Square on Easter Sunday.
Paul and Christina Gondreau of Johnston and their five children attended Easter Mass at the Vatican. The pope cradled their son, Dominic, who has cerebral palsy.
Videos and photos of the pontiff standing in the “popemobile” and holding Dominic were transmitted worldwide. Pope Francis also hugged and kissed other children as he greeted the crowd after Mass.
Paul Gondreau is a theology professor at Providence College and is teaching this semester in Rome.
- Female tiger killed by mating partner at Sacramento Zoo
- Job cuts planned as Boeing hunkers down to compete with Airbus, consider new plane
- Amid Zika fears, local family shares the reality of microcephaly
- Seahawks sign CFL receiver Jeff Fuller and running back Cameron Marshall
- Nigerian suicide bomber gets cold feet, refuses to kill
Most Read Stories
A story on the Providence College website says Paul Gondreau called the moment “an incredibly moving encounter.” He says his son teaches him daily lessons about how to love.