A spokesman for U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says the Pentagon chief and Jordan's King Abdullah agree that Syrian leader Bashar Assad must give up power.
A spokesman for U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says the Pentagon chief and Jordan’s King Abdullah agree that Syrian leader Bashar Assad must give up power.
Spokesman George Little made the statement after Panetta met with the king in Amman on Thursday.
Little said the two men discussed the prospects for a political transition after Assad is gone.
They also discussed the problem of Syrian refugees entering Jordan, Little said.
- Live updates from May Day in Seattle: Anti-capitalist protesters clash with police
- Good news about coconut oil, melatonin and turmeric
- 9 arrested, 5 officers hurt as May Day anti-capitalist march turns violent
- Visitors trash Washington island, so officials shut it down for good
- From best picks to the puzzlers, reviewing the Seahawks’ draft selections
Most Read Stories
Jordan was the final stop on Panetta’s five-day, four-country trip to the Middle East and North Africa.