QUETTA, Pakistan (AP) — Pakistani forces have killed five suspected separatists in the southwestern Baluchistan province.
Provincial home minister Sarfaraz Bugti said Saturday that the paramilitary Frontier Corps killed the suspected militants overnight in an operation near Quetta, the provincial capital.
Bugti identified the slain commander of the group as Abdul Mannan, saying he was a medical doctor who was part of the Baloch Nationalist Movement and had been involved in attacks on security forces.
Baloch nationalists have waged a low-intensity insurgency for years, demanding autonomy or outright independence for the mineral and gas-rich province.
Most Read Stories
- This video of Marshawn Lynch narrating the 'Planet Earth II' iguana chase wins the internet
- Watch: Boat called ‘Nap Tyme’ collides with Washington State Ferry near Vashon Island
- Boeing blindsided as Trump slams Air Force One costs
- Former Seahawk Ricardo Lockette stirs anger at Garfield High assembly: ‘Men take the lead’
- ‘Panicking’ Seattle home buyers, spooked by rising interest rates, rush to buy