ROCKVILLE, Md. (AP) — Police in Maryland say the owner of a home that was destroyed in an explosion was found dead in the wreckage of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Montgomery County police said in a news release Monday that the medical examiner identified the body found in the Rockville home Saturday as that of 61-year-old Steven Martin Beck. Investigators say a dog found near Beck’s body also was fatally shot.
Authorities say the house was leveled early Friday by a loud explosion so powerful it shattered windows and caused other damage to several neighboring homes.
Gas service at the home was turned off in June 2015, but a Washington Gas spokesman said unauthorized use had been detected at the home since January.
Most Read Stories
- Rachel Dolezal struggling after racial-identity scandal in Spokane
- Aerospace firm Electroimpact agrees to pay $485K after AG finds ‘shocking’ discrimination against Muslims
- No repeal for 'Obamacare' — a humiliating defeat for Trump VIEW
- Wave goodbye: Live Seafair hydroplane-race TV coverage sputters out after 66 years VIEW
- Here's where the Seahawks stand in free agency
The cause of the explosion is still under investigation.