The CIA joined Twitter on Friday with a tongue-in-cheek salvo: “We can neither confirm nor deny that this is our first tweet.”
The post was retweeted more than 100,000 times, and the account ballooned from 4,000 followers to nearly 70,000 in less than an hour. In contrast, the CIA was following 25 accounts, including the White House, Department of Defense and the National Security Agency.
The CIA confirmed that @CIA belonged to the agency. The agency’s tagline: “We are the nation’s first line of defense. We accomplish what others cannot accomplish and go where others cannot go.”
The Twitterverse quickly had fun with its newest member, with some posting fake tweets under the CIA’s name. One tweet wondered if this would be the agency’s latest surveillance arm: “Would it be terrifyingly awesome or awesomely terrifying if @CIA started following you?”
- Richard Sherman asks for Tyler Lockett-Mario Kart mashup, the internet answers
- Seahawks trade Kevin Norwood, make other moves to get roster to 75
- The latest on Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor's holdout
- Seattle restaurant manager killed hiking in Alaska
- The Californians keep coming, but King County gives back
Most Read Stories
A better question might be: Would you ever even know?