The CIA joined Twitter on Friday with a tongue-in-cheek salvo: “We can neither confirm nor deny that this is our first tweet.”
The post was retweeted more than 100,000 times, and the account ballooned from 4,000 followers to nearly 70,000 in less than an hour. In contrast, the CIA was following 25 accounts, including the White House, Department of Defense and the National Security Agency.
The CIA confirmed that @CIA belonged to the agency. The agency’s tagline: “We are the nation’s first line of defense. We accomplish what others cannot accomplish and go where others cannot go.”
The Twitterverse quickly had fun with its newest member, with some posting fake tweets under the CIA’s name. One tweet wondered if this would be the agency’s latest surveillance arm: “Would it be terrifyingly awesome or awesomely terrifying if @CIA started following you?”
- Seahawks' Marshawn Lynch announces retirement in his own, unique fashion
- Black Sabbath calls it a night at the Tacoma Dome — for good
- Marshawn Lynch leaves behind a legacy like no other with Seahawks
- Seattle’s brash king of pot raking in cash and raising hackles at Uncle Ike’s
- Marshawn Lynch’s retirement announcement wasn’t classy, but it was perfect
Most Read Stories
A better question might be: Would you ever even know?