COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio Democrats are preparing a tribute to John Glenn that they hope will help claim the late space hero’s legacy of patriotism and public service as part of the party’s political brand.
The Ohio native died Dec. 8 at 95. He was the first American to orbit Earth and served 24 years as a Democrat in the U.S. Senate.
A spokeswoman says the Ohio Democratic Party will air a series of videos remembering Glenn at its annual dinner Saturday. Kirstin Alvanitakis says the overall message will be that Glenn’s patriotism, pursuit of progressive causes and hometown values are also “capital D Democratic values.”
The event comes as Democrats in the battleground state and across the country try to rebound from sweeping state and federal election losses in 2016.
Most Read Stories
- Storm star Sue Bird says she's dating the Reign's Megan Rapinoe and opens up about being gay WATCH
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Illicit skatepark on Green Lake’s Duck Island: Cops called on bowl built in bird habitat WATCH
- Put down that cellphone; distracted-driving law is here
- '450 square feet of fear': Renter dreads rising cost for Fremont studio apartment | Seattle Sketcher