HARDEEVILLE, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say a man has been killed and two law enforcement officers have been wounded in a shootout at a South Carolina home.
Jasper County Sheriff Chris Malphrus said at a news conference that the officers were checking on a 911 call about a man shooting at a woman about 6 p.m. Thursday when the man came out of the home in Hardeeville firing his gun.
Malphrus says the officers shot back, killing the suspect.
The sheriff says a Jasper County deputy was shot in the shoulder and hand and a Hardeeville police officer was wounded in the armpit. Both are being treated at a Savannah, Georgia, hospital.
Most Read Stories
- Sorrow at the Space Needle: Dinner at one of Seattle’s most expensive restaurants VIEW
- Officials warn of solar eclipse Armageddon: Wildfires, unprecedented traffic, GPS miscues
- Seattle's own monument to the Confederacy was erected on Capitol Hill in 1926 — and it's still there
- NY Times' editorial page editor: No apology for Sarah Palin
- Experts answer your burning questions about the 2017 solar eclipse
Malphrus says the woman in the home suffered burns to the face when the man fired the gun extremely close to her, but she was not wounded.
The names and races of the man killed and the officers were not released.
State police will investigate the shooting.