HARDEEVILLE, S.C. (AP) — South Carolina state police are investigating a shootout that left a man dead and two officers wounded.
Jasper County Sheriff Chris Malphrus says the officers were responding to a report of a man shooting at a woman Thursday evening when a man came out of the home in Hardeeville, firing his gun. The officers returned fire, killing the Hispanic man, whose name has not been released.
Malphrus says Deputy Justin Smith was shot in the shoulder and hand. Hardeeville police Sgt. Kelvin Grant was wounded in the armpit. Both were being treated at a Savannah, Georgia, hospital.
Smith has been with the department two years; Grant since 2010.
Most Read Stories
- Family of girl snatched by sea lion lambasted for ‘reckless behavior’ WATCH
- I didn’t get it right with Seahawks’ Michael Bennett, and I apologize
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Blast at Ariana Grande concert in England kills 19 people VIEW
- What was that glowing orb that Trump touched in Saudi Arabia?
State Law Enforcement Division spokesman Thom Berry says Smith is white and Grant is black.
State police investigate most officer involved shootings in South Carolina.