HARDEEVILLE, S.C. (AP) — South Carolina state police are investigating a shootout that left a man dead and two officers wounded.
Jasper County Sheriff Chris Malphrus says the officers were responding to a report of a man shooting at a woman Thursday evening when a man came out of the home in Hardeeville, firing his gun. The officers returned fire, killing the Hispanic man, whose name has not been released.
Malphrus says Deputy Justin Smith was shot in the shoulder and hand. Hardeeville police Sgt. Kelvin Grant was wounded in the armpit. Both were being treated at a Savannah, Georgia, hospital.
Smith has been with the department two years; Grant since 2010.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle just broke a 122-year-old record for rain — because of course it did
- New wife feels sting of inheritance-plan snub | Dear Carolyn
- Fishing 101 can help parents cope with daughter’s nasty ‘best friend’ | Dear Carolyn
- Texas football player’s story prompts probe of Garfield High School recruitment
- Couple charged with assault in shooting, melee during UW speech by Milo Yiannopoulos WATCH
State Law Enforcement Division spokesman Thom Berry says Smith is white and Grant is black.
State police investigate most officer involved shootings in South Carolina.