ATLANTA (AP) — Officials say two drivers including an off-duty Atlanta police officer face charges after allegedly causing a crash that killed one man.
Local news media report the Georgia State Patrol said Wednesday that officer Shawn Jones Jr. and Jade Dibaje are charged with vehicular homicide, speeding, racing and reckless driving. Jones is the son of assistant police chief Shawn Jones.
An incident report states Jones failed to maintain his lane, left the road and hit a curb on Sept. 14. The impact of the crash killed 20-year-old Ramish Attai, who was riding in the front passenger seat.
Investigators say witnesses told authorities that it appeared Jones was racing another car before the crash.
Most Read Stories
- Swedish double-booked its surgeries, and the patients didn't know | Quantity of Care
- Democrats are supposed to be fighting back, but they just keep losing | Danny Westneat
- Submarines dismantled in Puget Sound are symbols of nation’s defense dilemma | Jon Talton
- Spike Lee posts, then deletes photo thanking Seahawks' Pete Carroll for signing Colin Kaepernick
- Singer John Legend donates $5K to help cover Seattle’s school-lunch debt
Police say the younger Jones was a member of the Atlanta Police Department’s airport division and had been with the department since Nov. 2011.