ATLANTA (AP) — Officials say two drivers including an off-duty Atlanta police officer face charges after allegedly causing a crash that killed one man.
Local news media report the Georgia State Patrol said Wednesday that officer Shawn Jones Jr. and Jade Dibaje are charged with vehicular homicide, speeding, racing and reckless driving. Jones is the son of assistant police chief Shawn Jones.
An incident report states Jones failed to maintain his lane, left the road and hit a curb on Sept. 14. The impact of the crash killed 20-year-old Ramish Attai, who was riding in the front passenger seat.
Investigators say witnesses told authorities that it appeared Jones was racing another car before the crash.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle’s March for Science draws thousands on Earth Day — including a Nobel Prize winner WATCH
- New wife feels sting of inheritance-plan snub | Dear Carolyn
- Recipe: Bacon-Wrapped Corn on the Cob with Charred Lime Crema
- Car brings down power lines, causing I-5 shutdown and outages in North Seattle
- Boeing issues new layoff notices to 429 workers in Washington state
Police say the younger Jones was a member of the Atlanta Police Department’s airport division and had been with the department since Nov. 2011.