NEW YORK (AP) — An armed suspect has been shot and killed by a New York City police officer following a gun battle.
The shooting occurred just before 4 p.m. Thursday in the East New York section of Brooklyn.
Police say plainclothes police officers were investigating possible gang violence in the neighborhood when they spotted a man running from a house.
As the officers exited their vehicle to approach him, police say the man drew a revolver and fired at them. The officers returned fire and the suspect fled to the rear of a home two blocks away.
Most Read Stories
- Wave goodbye: Live Seafair hydroplane-race TV coverage sputters out after 66 years VIEW
- Alex Tizon, former Seattle Times reporter who won Pulitzer Prize, dies at 57
- Judge: Married Lake Stevens cop’s misconduct didn’t violate girlfriend’s civil rights
- Milo Yiannopoulos at UW: A speech, a shooting and $75,000 in police overtime
- Cameron Dollar rejoins Washington on Mike Hopkins' staff
One of the officers then followed the gunman into an alley, where police say he confronted the suspect and shot him.
The unidentified man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The gun was recovered.