NEW YORK (AP) — An armed suspect has been shot and killed by a New York City police officer following a gun battle.
The shooting occurred just before 4 p.m. Thursday in the East New York section of Brooklyn.
Police say plainclothes police officers were investigating possible gang violence in the neighborhood when they spotted a man running from a house.
As the officers exited their vehicle to approach him, police say the man drew a revolver and fired at them. The officers returned fire and the suspect fled to the rear of a home two blocks away.
Most Read Stories
- New wife feels sting of inheritance-plan snub | Dear Carolyn
- Seattle’s March for Science draws thousands on Earth Day — including a Nobel Prize winner WATCH
- Fishing 101 can help parents cope with daughter’s nasty ‘best friend’ | Dear Carolyn
- Cowlitz Tribe opening $510M casino complex they hope will draw 4.5M visitors
- Recipe: Bacon-Wrapped Corn on the Cob with Charred Lime Crema
One of the officers then followed the gunman into an alley, where police say he confronted the suspect and shot him.
The unidentified man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The gun was recovered.