A jury has decided that a Syracuse doctor isn't to blame for an operating-room mishap that caused a pregnant woman to catch fire during a cesarean section delivery.
A jury has decided that a Syracuse doctor isn’t to blame for an operating-room mishap that caused a pregnant woman to catch fire during a cesarean section delivery.
Kira Reed suffered a 7-inch-long burn on her side two years ago when an alcohol-based antiseptic applied to her skin was accidentally ignited by a medical device. The fire was out quickly and her baby was fine, but she sued over the injury.
Reed reached an out-of-court settlement with the hospital, but The Post-Standard of Syracuse reports ( http://bit.ly/RlXXmB) that a jury rejected a negligence claim this week against obstetrician Stephen Brown.
Brown’s lawyer says the jury’s decision was appropriate.
- Husky guide on UW cheerleading tryouts goes global
- CEO makes fiery emails about Muslims part of the workday
- Look like this, not that: UW pulls cheerleader-tryout advice after angry backlash
- Oh smack: Garbage truck hits Alaskan Way Viaduct
- Seahawks get high grades for drafting of Jarran Reed, while reaction to other picks a little more varied
Most Read Stories
Surgical fires are rare, but do happen occasionally when hot devices touch disinfectant solutions before the alcohol has a chance to evaporate.
Information from: The Post-Standard, http://www.syracuse.com