CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina police department review board has cleared an officer in a fatal shooting that sparked several days of protests and riots last year.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department’s Shooting Review Board determined that Officer Brentley Vinson followed proper procedure in last September’s shooting death of Keith Lamont Scott. The board met Monday.
The board’s report said Vinson’s use of deadly force was justified and his actions were consistent with North Carolina law.
In announcing in November that no charges would be filed against Vinson, Mecklenburg County District Attorney Andrew Murray said Scott was armed with a handgun and Vinson feared Scott would shoot.
Most Read Stories
- 'It's bigger than sports:' Why the Seahawks decided to stay in the locker room during Sunday's anthem WATCH
- A daring betrayal helped wipe out Cali cocaine cartel
- Huskies get first test of season out of the way and they aced it with win at Colorado | Larry Stone
- Analysis: Three things we learned from the Seahawks' 33-27 loss to the Tennessee Titans
- Pete Carroll responds to Trump comments, backs Seahawks: 'We stand for our players and their constitutional rights'
The Charlotte Observer reported (http://bit.ly/2ouR8Uh) an attorney for Scott’s family criticized the police department, saying the decision shows, “it’s darn near impossible to investigate yourself.”