Norbert has become a hurricane in the Pacific well off the southern tip of Mexico's Baja California peninsula.
Norbert has become a hurricane in the Pacific well off the southern tip of Mexico’s Baja California peninsula.
The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami says Norbert reached hurricane strength on Wednesday, packing top sustained winds of 80 mph (130 kph). It is centered about 205 miles (335 kilometers) south of the Baja peninsula.
Forecasters say Norbert is headed northwest at 8 mph (13 kph) and expected to approach the southern tip of the peninsula Thursday and trek nearly parallel to the Pacific coast Friday.
Forecasters say a tropical storm warning is in effect from La Paz to Cabo San Lazaro, while a tropical storm watch is in effect north of Cabo San Lazaro to Puerto San Andresito and north of La Paz to San Evaristo.
- Artificially produced water delivers Israel from drought
- 'Granny panties' making a comeback as women say no to thongs
- Seahawks' Michael Bennett admits he wants a new deal
- 2nd man comes forward with accusation against Hastert
- Seahawks' honest approach won over cornerback Cary Williams in free-agency tour