NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Newark’s mayor has released the name of a 10-year-old Pennsylvania boy who was accidentally shot and killed by another juvenile during a family party at a home in the city.
Mayor Ras Baraka said Monday that an 11-year-old boy was holding the gun when it somehow discharged early Saturday, striking Josiah Coleman. Braka didn’t disclose the other child’s name or say if the youths were related.
The shooting occurred inside a multifamily home. Coleman was found in a third-floor apartment and was taken to a hospital, where he died.
Essex County prosecutors have declined to release details about the shooting, citing their ongoing investigation. They also have not said where the gun came from or how the juvenile shooter got the weapon.
Most Read Stories
- Washington loses 2017 incoming point guard Blake Harris
- Rare, often fatal, respiratory disease carried by mice — hantavirus — confirmed in King County
- Measles cases in South Lake Union: Were you exposed?
- 'I'm amazed tourists ever come back': Your comments on Seattle's poor tourism survey
- Mike Hopkins' basketball coaching staff at Washington begins to take shape