CINCINNATI (AP) — The new judge in the case has scheduled a Dec. 12 hearing to discuss plans for the retrial of a white former University of Cincinnati police officer charged with killing a black motorist during a traffic stop.
Hamilton County Common Pleas Judge Leslie Ghiz (GIHZ) was selected this week to preside over the retrial of Ray Tensing on murder and voluntary manslaughter charges in the July 2015 shooting of Sam DuBose.
A key issue will be Prosecutor Joe Deters’ (DEE’turz) effort to move the retrial out of the Cincinnati area. Deters has said jurors in the first trial were fearful of being identified amid community pressure.
The first trial judge, Megan Shanahan, recused herself Monday. She declared a mistrial Nov. 12 because of a hung jury.
Most Read Stories
- Wave goodbye: Live Seafair hydroplane-race TV coverage sputters out after 66 years VIEW
- Alex Tizon, former Seattle Times reporter who won Pulitzer Prize, dies at 57
- Judge: Married Lake Stevens cop’s misconduct didn’t violate girlfriend’s civil rights
- Milo Yiannopoulos at UW: A speech, a shooting and $75,000 in police overtime
- Cameron Dollar rejoins Washington on Mike Hopkins' staff