CINCINNATI (AP) — The new judge in the case has scheduled a Dec. 12 hearing to discuss plans for the retrial of a white former University of Cincinnati police officer charged with killing a black motorist during a traffic stop.
Hamilton County Common Pleas Judge Leslie Ghiz (GIHZ) was selected this week to preside over the retrial of Ray Tensing on murder and voluntary manslaughter charges in the July 2015 shooting of Sam DuBose.
A key issue will be Prosecutor Joe Deters’ (DEE’turz) effort to move the retrial out of the Cincinnati area. Deters has said jurors in the first trial were fearful of being identified amid community pressure.
The first trial judge, Megan Shanahan, recused herself Monday. She declared a mistrial Nov. 12 because of a hung jury.
Most Read Stories
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Put down that cellphone; distracted-driving law is here
- Why watermelon is good for you
- Why Republicans can’t govern | David Brooks / Syndicated columnist
- Passage of paid-family-leave act shows power of working together | Op-Ed