MAYS LANDING, N.J. (AP) — Body-camera video of a standoff between police and the physician husband of a radio host slain in New Jersey shows the man yelling, “I’m not going to jail for this!”
The video was played Monday before a judge ruled James Kauffman was a flight risk and will remain in custody until his trial on weapons charges unrelated to his wife’s death.
Kauffman’s attorney vowed to appeal the ruling. He noted that Kauffman has been under an “investigative microscope” for the last five years after April Kauffman’s death and hasn’t fled.
Kauffman was arrested this month at his Egg Harbor Township office. Authorities say he brandished a handgun as agents executed search warrants at his office and home, but a hostage negotiator persuaded him to surrender.
Most Read Stories
- Road rage in Kent: Subaru strikes Jeep three times
- Did you get the letter? WSU sends warning to 1 million people after hard drive with personal info is stolen
- UW professor got it right on Trump. So why is he being ignored? | Danny Westneat
- Veteran LAPD officer arrested for sex with 15-year-old cadet
- The Amazon effect: Metro adds buses to handle new flock of summer interns
This story has been corrected to show James Kauffman has not been charged in his wife’s death.