MAYS LANDING, N.J. (AP) — Body-camera video of a standoff between police and the physician husband of a radio host slain in New Jersey shows the man yelling, “I’m not going to jail for this!”
The video was played Monday before a judge ruled James Kauffman was a flight risk and will remain in custody until his trial on weapons charges unrelated to his wife’s death.
Kauffman’s attorney vowed to appeal the ruling. He noted that Kauffman has been under an “investigative microscope” for the last five years after April Kauffman’s death and hasn’t fled.
Kauffman was arrested this month at his Egg Harbor Township office. Authorities say he brandished a handgun as agents executed search warrants at his office and home, but a hostage negotiator persuaded him to surrender.
Most Read Stories
- Route 7 is one of Metro Transit’s most challenging bus lines, and driver Nathan Vass loves it VIEW
- Seattle's own monument to the Confederacy was erected on Capitol Hill in 1926 — and it's still there
- WSU College Republicans leader steps down after being exposed as white-nationalist protester
- Officials warn of solar eclipse Armageddon: Wildfires, unprecedented traffic, GPS miscues
- Bill Gates makes largest donation of Microsoft stock since 2000 with $4.6 billion gift
This story has been corrected to show James Kauffman has not been charged in his wife’s death.