ROME (AP) — Moroccan authorities have located an important Baroque altarpiece stolen from an Italian church in 2014.
Modena prosecutor Lucia Musti said Thursday that Italian authorities were informed via Interpol that the “Madonna with Saints John the Evangelist and Gregory the Miracle Worker” had been located by Moroccan authorities.
The 1639 painting, by Giovanni Francesco Barbieri, known as Guercino, had been stolen from the St. Vincent church of Modena between Aug. 10-13, 2014. Its large dimensions — nearly three meters by two meters (three yards by two yards) — had led to speculation it was a professional job.
In a statement, Italy’s carabinieri police art squad said contacts were already underway with Moroccan authorities to bring the artwork home.
Most Read Stories
- Storm star Sue Bird says she's dating the Reign's Megan Rapinoe and opens up about being gay WATCH
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Illicit skatepark on Green Lake’s Duck Island: Cops called on bowl built in bird habitat WATCH
- Put down that cellphone; distracted-driving law is here
- '450 square feet of fear': Renter dreads rising cost for Fremont studio apartment | Seattle Sketcher