LAKE FORREST, Ill. (AP) — Officials say no one was injured when a Minneapolis-bound Megabus carrying dozens of passengers caught fire outside of Chicago.
Fire officials say it happened about 12:15 p.m. Sunday on Route 41 near Waukegan, close to the Wisconsin border. They say the driver and about 40 passengers were able to exit the vehicle before firefighters arrived. Most of their luggage was lost.
The bus was engulfed in flames and sustained extensive damage. The cause of the fire was unknown.
Passenger Russicha Watkins told the Chicago Sun-Times (http://bit.ly/1PQqTjt ) there was a boom and black smoke. Watkins praised the driver, saying he got everybody off the bus before there was another explosion.
Most Read Stories
- The results are in: Here's where the new Dick's Drive-In will be
- Milo Yiannopoulos at UW: A speech, a shooting and $75,000 in police overtime
- Best way to slow aging? Exercise, but not just any kind
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX on brink of `Wright Brothers moment’ with reused rocket
- Alex Tizon, former Seattle Times reporter who won Pulitzer Prize, dies at 57
Sean Hughes, director of corporate affairs for the line’s parent company, Coach USA North America, said it was “fully cooperating” with the investigation.
Information from: Chicago Sun-Times, http://chicago.suntimes.com/