LAKE FORREST, Ill. (AP) — Officials say no one was injured when a Minneapolis-bound Megabus carrying dozens of passengers caught fire outside of Chicago.
Fire officials say it happened about 12:15 p.m. Sunday on Route 41 near Waukegan, close to the Wisconsin border. They say the driver and about 40 passengers were able to exit the vehicle before firefighters arrived. Most of their luggage was lost.
The bus was engulfed in flames and sustained extensive damage. The cause of the fire was unknown.
Passenger Russicha Watkins told the Chicago Sun-Times (http://bit.ly/1PQqTjt ) there was a boom and black smoke. Watkins praised the driver, saying he got everybody off the bus before there was another explosion.
Most Read Stories
- New wife feels sting of inheritance-plan snub | Dear Carolyn
- Seattle’s March for Science draws thousands on Earth Day — including a Nobel Prize winner WATCH
- Recipe: Bacon-Wrapped Corn on the Cob with Charred Lime Crema
- Cowlitz Tribe opening $510M casino complex they hope will draw 4.5M visitors VIEW
- Huskies show off talent in spring scrimmage, focus on season ahead VIEW
Sean Hughes, director of corporate affairs for the line’s parent company, Coach USA North America, said it was “fully cooperating” with the investigation.
Information from: Chicago Sun-Times, http://chicago.suntimes.com/