LAKE FORREST, Ill. (AP) — Officials say no one was injured when a Minneapolis-bound Megabus carrying dozens of passengers caught fire outside of Chicago.
Fire officials say it happened about 12:15 p.m. Sunday on Route 41 near Waukegan, close to the Wisconsin border. They say the driver and about 40 passengers were able to exit the vehicle before firefighters arrived. Most of their luggage was lost.
The bus was engulfed in flames and sustained extensive damage. The cause of the fire was unknown.
Passenger Russicha Watkins told the Chicago Sun-Times (http://bit.ly/1PQqTjt ) there was a boom and black smoke. Watkins praised the driver, saying he got everybody off the bus before there was another explosion.
Most Read Stories
- Jury acquits leaders of Malheur wildlife-refuge standoff
- Watch: Shots reportedly fired, 141 arrested at Dakota Access Pipeline protests WATCH
- Suspicious? Gay groomsman only one left out of rehearsal dinner | Dear Carolyn
- Ex-Seahawk Marshawn Lynch is never far from teammates’ memories WATCH
- Group headed by Tim Leiweke interested in KeyArena renovation for NBA, NHL VIEW
Sean Hughes, director of corporate affairs for the line’s parent company, Coach USA North America, said it was “fully cooperating” with the investigation.
Information from: Chicago Sun-Times, http://chicago.suntimes.com/