Republican Sen. John McCain's tweet comparing Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to a monkey is drawing criticism from a fellow GOP lawmaker as racist.
Republican Sen. John McCain’s tweet comparing Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to a monkey is drawing criticism from a fellow GOP lawmaker as racist.
On Monday, McCain wrote, “So Ahmadinejad wants to be first Iranian in space – wasn’t he just there last week?” He then linked to a news story about Iran launching a monkey into space.
Faced with criticism, McCain said in another tweet, “lighten up folks, can’t everyone take a joke.”
That didn’t satisfy Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan, who tweeted, “Maybe you should wisen up & not make racist jokes.”
- Job cuts planned as Boeing hunkers down to compete with Airbus, consider new plane
- Female tiger killed by mating partner at Sacramento Zoo
- Amid Zika fears, local family shares the reality of microcephaly
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Police: Ohio newborn appears to have died from dog bite
Most Read Stories
During the 2008 presidential campaign, McCain created a stir during a South Carolina appearance when he repeated “Bomb Iran,” to the tune of the Beach Boys song “Barbara Ann.”