Republican Sen. John McCain's tweet comparing Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to a monkey is drawing criticism from a fellow GOP lawmaker as racist.
Republican Sen. John McCain’s tweet comparing Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to a monkey is drawing criticism from a fellow GOP lawmaker as racist.
On Monday, McCain wrote, “So Ahmadinejad wants to be first Iranian in space – wasn’t he just there last week?” He then linked to a news story about Iran launching a monkey into space.
Faced with criticism, McCain said in another tweet, “lighten up folks, can’t everyone take a joke.”
That didn’t satisfy Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan, who tweeted, “Maybe you should wisen up & not make racist jokes.”
- Husky guide on UW cheerleading tryouts goes global
- Look like this, not that: UW pulls cheerleader-tryout advice after angry backlash
- APNewsBreak: Investigators look at overdose in Prince death
- Seahawks take Germain Ifedi with first-round pick in NFL draft
- Mexican agents hunting fugitives in Arlington slayings: ‘It’s only going to be a few days’
Most Read Stories
During the 2008 presidential campaign, McCain created a stir during a South Carolina appearance when he repeated “Bomb Iran,” to the tune of the Beach Boys song “Barbara Ann.”