Republican Sen. John McCain's tweet comparing Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to a monkey is drawing criticism from a fellow GOP lawmaker as racist.
Republican Sen. John McCain’s tweet comparing Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to a monkey is drawing criticism from a fellow GOP lawmaker as racist.
On Monday, McCain wrote, “So Ahmadinejad wants to be first Iranian in space – wasn’t he just there last week?” He then linked to a news story about Iran launching a monkey into space.
Faced with criticism, McCain said in another tweet, “lighten up folks, can’t everyone take a joke.”
That didn’t satisfy Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan, who tweeted, “Maybe you should wisen up & not make racist jokes.”
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Gun violence: Don’t fear gun laws; let gun-owners help pay to fix the problem
- Evergreen High School football player critically injured during game
Most Read Stories
During the 2008 presidential campaign, McCain created a stir during a South Carolina appearance when he repeated “Bomb Iran,” to the tune of the Beach Boys song “Barbara Ann.”