Republican Sen. John McCain's tweet comparing Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to a monkey is drawing criticism from a fellow GOP lawmaker as racist.
Republican Sen. John McCain’s tweet comparing Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to a monkey is drawing criticism from a fellow GOP lawmaker as racist.
On Monday, McCain wrote, “So Ahmadinejad wants to be first Iranian in space – wasn’t he just there last week?” He then linked to a news story about Iran launching a monkey into space.
Faced with criticism, McCain said in another tweet, “lighten up folks, can’t everyone take a joke.”
That didn’t satisfy Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan, who tweeted, “Maybe you should wisen up & not make racist jokes.”
- Narcotics dog hospitalized after ingesting meth
- It's no easy task, but contract extension for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson will get done
- 5 Seahawks takeaways from the NFL League Meetings
- Microsoft tells vendors to give contract workers basic benefits
- Co-pilot deliberately slams plane in Alps; families ask why
Most Read Stories
During the 2008 presidential campaign, McCain created a stir during a South Carolina appearance when he repeated “Bomb Iran,” to the tune of the Beach Boys song “Barbara Ann.”