WASHINGTON (AP) — A man who draped himself in the American flag and jumped over the White House fence on Thanksgiving Day 2015 has been sentenced to three years of probation.
Prosecutors said in a statement that 24-year-old Joseph Caputo of Stamford, Connecticut, was sentenced Thursday. He had previously pleaded guilty to entering or remaining in a restricted building or grounds.
Prosecutors say that while on probation Caputo is required to stay away from the District of Columbia and any facilities, sites or people under Secret Service protection.
Caputo’s attorney Stephan Seeger called the sentence “a fair one” in a telephone interview Thursday and said his client was never a threat to the public.
Most Read Stories
- Elizabeth Warren: ‘The next step is single-payer’ health care
- Seattle No. 1 in home-price growth again; starter homes require half of income
- Costco is testing a new burger in Seattle, and it might remind you of Shake Shack
- Zillow vs. McMansion Hell: Seattle company not backing off fight with blog despite PR fiasco
- UW study finds Seattle’s minimum wage is costing jobs