NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — A Virginia man accused of murder in the shooting death of his 4-year-old son has made a brief court appearance.
Rayvon A. Messer wiped tears from his eyes as he sat shackled in a Norfolk courtroom Friday. A judge appointed an attorney for him and scheduled hearings to review his bail and the charges.
A group of family members sat behind Messer, some crying and telling him they loved him as he was led back to jail.
Rayvon A. Messer Jr. was found with a gunshot wound outside his father’s home Wednesday evening. His father faces a count of second-degree murder.
Most Read Stories
- Seahawks' Richard Sherman, dozens of athletes respond to Trump's rant against NFL player protests
- GOP’s know-nothing approach to health care is symptom of a bigger disease | Danny Westneat
- A daring betrayal helped wipe out Cali cocaine cartel
- Huskies get first test of season out of the way and they aced it with win at Colorado | Larry Stone
- Pete Carroll responds to Trump comments, backs Seahawks: 'We stand for our players and their constitutional rights'
Police have released few details. Desmond Sessoms, Messer’s stepfather, told The Associated Press that the 26-year-old loved his son and would never intentionally hurt the boy.