COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say a 23-year-old South Carolina man has been charged in the fatal shooting of his girlfriend, who was left in a wheelchair outside a hospital.
The Richland County Sherriff’s Office announced Monday that Albertus Lewis faces a charge of murder. Previously he was charged with obstruction of justice.
Authorities said 20-year-old Mayra Sanchez was found about 4:30 a.m. on July 5 at a hospital in Columbia, the state capital, and pronounced dead by doctors. Deputies say Lewis put Sanchez in a wheelchair and left.
The woman’s mother, Guadalupe Sanchez, tells WLTX that the family had a restraining order against Lewis.
Most Read Stories
- Scientists say recent quake swarm at Rainier doesn't signal impending eruption
- 'Polite Robber' suspect told similar sob story when arrested 8 years ago
- FBI investigating off-duty work by Seattle police at construction sites, parking garages
- Is this Seattle bus stop the worst in America?
- ‘Everyone failed him’: Boy’s aunt accused of murder, DSHS accused of ‘critical errors’
It wasn’t immediately known if Lewis has an attorney.