COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say a 23-year-old South Carolina man has been charged in the fatal shooting of his girlfriend, who was left in a wheelchair outside a hospital.
The Richland County Sherriff’s Office announced Monday that Albertus Lewis faces a charge of murder. Previously he was charged with obstruction of justice.
Authorities said 20-year-old Mayra Sanchez was found about 4:30 a.m. on July 5 at a hospital in Columbia, the state capital, and pronounced dead by doctors. Deputies say Lewis put Sanchez in a wheelchair and left.
The woman’s mother, Guadalupe Sanchez, tells WLTX that the family had a restraining order against Lewis.
Most Read Stories
- 'It's bigger than sports:' Why the Seahawks decided to stay in the locker room during Sunday's anthem WATCH
- A daring betrayal helped wipe out Cali cocaine cartel
- No more flying with reindeer: Unique Alaska planes to retire VIEW
- ‘No more agriculture in Puerto Rico,’ a farmer laments
- Huskies get first test of season out of the way and they aced it with win at Colorado | Larry Stone
It wasn’t immediately known if Lewis has an attorney.