A Kentucky man's comic book collection with first issues of Superman, Batman and the Flash fetched $1.5 million in an online auction this week.
A Kentucky man’s comic book collection with first issues of Superman, Batman and the Flash fetched $1.5 million in an online auction this week.
John Wise had collected the valuable super hero comics over three decades.
A comic from 1940 with the first appearance of Flash claimed the top individual price of $182,000. First issues of Superman and Batman from the same era sold for $172,000 and $137,000 in the offerings that ended Tuesday. His issue of the first-ever comic from Marvel sold for $95,000.
Wise says the exploding popularity of super heroes in movies and TV made it a good time to sell. He plans to buy a house and send his grandchildren to college with the profits.
- Strange but true: Mammoth catfish caught in Italy, and great white shark lurking off Washington coast
- From rust bucket to showpiece: Volunteers are rescuing the first Boeing 747
- Forecasters say gas prices are set to soar
- Mapping the dogs of Seattle
- Rugby League star Jarryd Hayne still exploring options, Seahawks apparently still in the mix
Most Read Stories
The comic books were sold on Comicconnect.com, an online auction house.