A rare security breach has been reported at the Tower of London, one of the British capital's most famous landmarks.
A rare security breach has been reported at the Tower of London, one of the British capital’s most famous landmarks.
Authorities say the Crown Jewels and other unique artifacts are safe but that locks had to be changed after an intruder broke in and stole some keys.
Officials said Monday the keys were stolen from a sentry box at the site. They would have provided access to the Tower’s drawbridges and some other areas.
Authorities say the keys were stolen last Tuesday and a police investigation into the theft is under way.
- 2 people killed in Seattle-area windstorm identified
- High winds stall firefighting efforts, fuel Tunk Block, Lime Belt fires
- Steven Hauschka's 60-yard FG gives Seahawks final edge over Chargers
- Jack Zduriencik’s M’s legacy: More than 3 dozen departed managers, coaches, scouts, staffers
- Offense needs big kick as Seahawks snag 16-15 victory
Most Read Stories
A Historic Royal Palaces statement said security procedures had not been properly followed.
The Tower is guarded by Yeoman Warders, commonly known as Beefeaters.