A rare security breach has been reported at the Tower of London, one of the British capital's most famous landmarks.
A rare security breach has been reported at the Tower of London, one of the British capital’s most famous landmarks.
Authorities say the Crown Jewels and other unique artifacts are safe but that locks had to be changed after an intruder broke in and stole some keys.
Officials said Monday the keys were stolen from a sentry box at the site. They would have provided access to the Tower’s drawbridges and some other areas.
Authorities say the keys were stolen last Tuesday and a police investigation into the theft is under way.
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Gun violence: Don’t fear gun laws; let gun-owners help pay to fix the problem
- Evergreen High School football player critically injured during game
Most Read Stories
A Historic Royal Palaces statement said security procedures had not been properly followed.
The Tower is guarded by Yeoman Warders, commonly known as Beefeaters.